Saturday, May 14, 2011

Spinning wheel got to go 'round

With declining revenues in the gas tax due to people driving more fuel efficient cars, it appears the Obama administration is considering a mileage tax for cars to recoup the "missing" revenue.

So, let me get this straight: liberals want those of us who choose to own a car to have a fuel efficient car, then bitch about the fact that gas tax revenue goes down when people *do* buy fuel efficient cars?

Really??

I moved to a more fuel efficient car 3 years ago because I simply couldn't afford to fill my 1999 Explorer twice a week at $55 a crack. My Focus gets almost twice the mileage my Explorer did, and it's a nice car. I made the choice, based on my budget, to move to a smaller vehicle that still suited my driving needs.

But because I *chose* to live within my means and not sell my soul to pay for gas, I might *still* have to pay more for the privilege of driving, based on my mileage. My wife and I generally take my car when we go out, whether we go to the movies or to visit my family in Illinois. I already pay more for the privilege of driving due to the fact that I use more gas in my car to drive those miles; I don't feel I should be taxed *again* based on mileage driven, as I've already paid to use the roads I drive on with my gas taxes.

I'm tired of the government on all levels telling me they need more money all the time; I have to live within my income, government can learn to live within it's income as well.

No comments: